Wednesday, December 17, 2008

management = parenting?

I gotta wonder.

I yell, I scream. I demand and I set timelines, deadlines. They look at me and blink, then talk about what to do. They know that I am demanding, and they do try... they try to meet my expectations. Exhausted and punchy later, I laugh at myself for being so keyed up. I am grateful for their efforts, and think they're doing okay.

Then it'll be a few days, maybe a week, maybe more... we'll be chugging along, doing things. Someone will start to come in really late, and say the same things over and over again at team meetings. I'll wonder what they're doing all day. I'll start sniffing around, getting overly involved in the details of their work, and they'll start to feel me getting prickly again. I yell, I scream.

Okay, honestly I don't really yell and scream. I do say things like "... and this is the last time I'll say it" and "I'm serious! This is your job!". I am insistent. I want good quality work from everyone. I insistent on at least the effort to attain that, even if the mark isn't reached. Evidence of effort is required. Except for when I get tired and distracted by my own work.

And right now, that's what's suffering. Haven't even touched those two sticky projects yet.

Ah... work. Love it. Hate it. Either way it keeps you out of the rain and fed. Now... stop piddling around and go back to work! Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment